We really do need to laugh more often. Whether it is to keep us healthy or to establish an inviting atmosphere at home or at the office, taking lighthearted approach can reap great benefits.
From How to Treat and Prevent Cancer with Natural Medicine (2002), by Dr. Michael Murray.
Laugh Long and Often to Boost
Your Immune System
Laughter is without question the most powerful immune enhancer available. Recent medical research has also confirmed that laughter enhances the blood flow to the body’s extremities and improves cardiovascular function; plays an active part in the body’s release of endorphins and other natural mood-elevating and painkilling chemicals; and improves the transfer of oxygen and nutrients to internal organs. Here are seven tips to help you have more laughter in your life.
1. Learn to laugh at yourself. Recognize how funny some of your behavior really is – especially your shortcomings or mistakes. We all have little idiosyncrasies or behaviors that are unique to us that we can recognize and enjoy. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
2. Inject humor any time it is appropriate. People love to laugh. Get a joke book and learn how to tell a good joke. Humor and laughter really make life enjoyable.
3. Read the comics to find one that you think is funny and follow it every day or week.
4. Watch comedies on television. With modern cable systems, it is usually quite easy to find something funny on television.
5. Go see a funny movie with a friend. We laugh harder and more often when we are around others who are laughing. It is contagious, we feed off each other’s laughter, and laughing together helps build good relationships.
6. Listen to comedy audiotapes in your car while driving. Check your local record store, bookstore, video store, or library for recorded comedy routines of your favorite comic.
7. Play with kids. Kids really know how to laugh and play. If you do not have kids of your own, spend time with your nieces, nephews, or neighborhood children with whose families you are friendly. Become a Big Brother or Sister. Investigate local Little Leagues. Help out at your church’s Sunday school and children’s events.
Which suggestion would you like to follow to lighten up your life this week!
If you please, laugh, like, share and comment